Avoid electrical fires

Electrical Fires – How To Avoid Them

Electrical fires are deadly. Within two minutes, a fire can be life-threatening.
In five minutes, a home can go up in flames.

To raise awareness of the danger of home fires and methods to prevent and prepare for them. – The team at Brissy Electricians has compiled a list of ways you can prevent an electrical fire in your home or save a life.

Avoid Electrical Fires At Home

60% of all home fires involve electrical appliances.
Hundreds of thousands of people suffering severe injuries and dozens losing their lives in electrical accidents every year.

Electrical fires are easily avoidable if you follow simple precautions and take action when you notice something is not correct.

  • PowerPoints – Check for loose plugs as the exposed metal prongs can shock or be a fire hazard. Replace missing or broken wall plates to prevent exposed wires and components. If you have small children in the house, check to make sure unused outlets are covered.
  • Plugs – Never force them into the powerpoints. Avoid overloading outlets with double adapters and piggybacking plugs.
  • Electrical Cords – Ensure they are not frayed or cracked, are not traped under carpets or rugs, and are not in high-traffic areas. Do not use nails or staples to anchor them to walls, floors or other objects.
  • Extension cords – Use them only temporarily. They are not intended for permanent wiring in the home. Make sure they are away young children who can disconnect the joined plugs. They can get an electric shock and mouth burns if they are playing with them.
  • Light Bulbs – Check the wattage to ensure the bulbs meet the fixture’s requirements. Replace globes that have a higher wattage than indicated on the fixture. Make certain bulbs are screwed in tightly to prevent them from overheating.
  • Appliance faults- If an appliance repeatedly blows a fuse, trips a circuit breaker, or gives you an electric shock. Unplug it immediately and have it repaired or replaced. Look for cracks or damage in wiring and connectors. Use surge protectors to protect expensive electronic equipment.
  • Electrical Wiring – Defects in wiring are a leading cause of home fires. Check regularly for loose wall outlets, loose wires or loose light fixtures. Listen for popping or hissing noises behind walls. Immediately turn off and properly replace light switches that feel hot and lights that spark and flicker.
  • Power capacity – As you add more and more lighting, larger appliances and electronics to your home, your home’s power circuits can become overloaded.
  • If your circuits are frequently blowing or tripping, you may need to increase the capacity of your power system or add new circuits. A licensed electrician can determine the appropriate requirements for your home.
  • Use the correct charger for the right appliance, and do not leave appliances charging overnight or when the house is unoccupied.

The Proper Number Of Smoke Detectors 

There should be at least one smoke detector on each floor of your home and one outside each sleeping area. 

Modern smoke alarms are now hard wired into your home’s electrical work, so there are no more flat batteries or annoying beeping batteries. Ask us about the new legislation about smoke detectors

Check Electrical Wiring Regularly.

Check electrical cords regularly to see if they are frayed or damaged. 

If they are frayed, replace them. If you throw out a damaged cord, cut the cord so that no one else can use it. It will also stop you from accidentally using the cord again.

Appliances And Electricity

Appliances are part of our everyday lives these days.
We don’t think twice about turning on our TV, using the washing machine, putting bread in the toaster. Just because there’s no flame doesn’t mean there’s no fire hazard.

How can you avoid electrical emergencies at home?

Avoid overloading extension cords or power boards when you bring a new appliance home.

Overloading extension cords pose a major fire risk. Never use multiple double adapters.

Get an electrician to install more power outlets in the room or find power points in different rooms to plug the appliances in

  • Don’t overload electrical outlets 
  • Keep all electrical equipment clean and well maintained
  • Look after your electrical appliances. Use a licensed electrician to check your home’s electrical system and switchboard at least once every ten years
  • Don’t buy cheap overseas electrical appliances as they may not meet Australian safety standards, 
  • Turn off electrical appliances at the PowerPoint they are not in use

If you notice unusual heat coming from plugs and power points. Or your fuse box keeps blowing, if your lights aren’t working correctly. Are there burn marks, black spots, or soot around outlets?
For any of these signs, call an electrician to check for problems immediately.

With these simple tips

Some of the tips could even reduce your energy expenses.

Don’t attempt to make changes to your electrical system if you are unsure or uncertain.

In Australia, by law. only an electrician can do any electrical work

The only electrical work, a non-electrician, can legally replace light globes and plug in an appliance. Remember – electricity is VERY dangerous and can kill you.
Brissy Electricians also service Wynnum. Capalaba and Redland Bay

Similar Posts